What is Black Friday?
Black Friday is the name given to the day following Thanksgiving, one of the most important shopping days of the year in the United States together with Cyber Monday. As for Cyber Monday, it was created to give retailers a piece of the pie against Black Friday’s brick-and-mortar focused discounts. Together, those days are the busiest shopping days of the year for stores and also for online shopping in the United States. Even though these concepts originate from the United States, they quickly spread to the whole world through the Internet due to their customer-friendly nature.
A few numbers
In 2018, a total of $6.2 billion was made in online sales in the US during Black Friday, against $7.9 billion on Cyber Monday. That accounts as an 18.87% increase compared to the year before for Black Friday total sales, and a 19.88% increase for Cyber Monday online sales, which remains ahead in terms of total revenue. Even though originally, Black Friday was a physical-store oriented shopping day, the concept also blew over the internet and online sales in many countries of the world as well.
How to get the best discounts on Black Friday & Cyber Monday?
When shopping on those two special days, do not lose your head (and your wallet) over discounts. As much as we like to believe in crazy discounts and cheap products, some are as usual… too good to be true. As you know, the scam season is there and online shopping is becoming denser as we are approaching the end of the year celebrations, therefore it is even more important to make sure that you shop online safely. This is why we provide you this quick Black Friday & Cyber Monday shopping guide on how to safely get the best discounts.
5 tips to shop on Black Friday & Cyber Monday
1. Make sure that the website you are shopping on is safe by checking it with Scamadviser.com, and also do not forget to perform a manual check with our "How to recognise a scam?" guide.
2. Do not buy items at full price. Is it possible to find some coupons, discount or promo codes, or get a cashback offer before placing the purchase?
3. Do some research. If necessary, make some research on the product you want to purchase, to know if it is possible to get it cheaper on some other website, therefore, do not hesitate to compare.
4. Abandon your cart. Many retailers keep track of who abandoned their cart on their website, and they also enjoy this opportunity to give an extra discount in case that could help you make your order final.
5. Follow the brands you like on social media, they might offer to their fans only some special discounts that are selectively for their fanbase!